Ve 550: Information Theory
- Degree program: Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Credit hours: 3 credits
- Required/Elective course: Required
- Terms offered: Fall
- Cognizant faculty: Xudong Wang
- Potential instructors: Xudong Wang
- Textbook/Required material: Cover, T.M. and Thomas, J.A., Elements of Information Theory, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- This course covers both basic and advanced topics of information theory. It includes the following contents: the concepts of source, channel, rate of transmission of information, entropy and mutual information, the noiseless coding theorem, noisy channels, the coding theorem for finite state zero memory channels, channel capacity, error bounds, parity check codes, source encoding.