Vm 541: Mechanical Vibrations
- Degree program: Mechanical Engineering.
- Credit hours: 3 credits.
- Required/Elective course: Elective.
- Pre-requisites: Vm 440 Intermediate Dynamics and Vibration.
- Terms offered: Summer.
- Cognizant faculty: Robert Parker.
- Potential instructors: Olivier Bauchau, Robert Parker.
- Textbook/Required material: Instructor Notes.
Time and frequency domain mathematical techniques for linear system vibrations. Equations of motion of discrete non-conservative systems. Vibration of multi-degree-of-freedom systems. Small oscillation theory. Free vibration eigenvalue problem. Undamped system response. Viscously damped systems. Vibration of continuous systems. Modes of vibration of bars, beams, membranes, plates.