UM-SJTU Dual Degree Program
The Joint Institute’s Dual Degree program offers students a chance to study for two years in Shanghai at the Joint Institute and then apply for transfer to the College of Engineering (CoE) or the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) of the University of Michigan (UM). Once admitted, students study at UM for approximately two years to complete a UM Bachelor’s degree in one of fifteen engineering majors in the CoE, or either Mathematics or Physics majors in the LSA. After completion of their UM academic courses, JI students in this program return to the Joint Institute to complete an undergraduate thesis and fulfill other requirements to earn an SJTU Bachelor’s degree. Acceptance and completion of the Dual Degree program earns the student two Bachelor’s degrees — one from the University of Michigan and one from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Requirements for acceptance into the UM are the same as that for any other transfer student. However, the application process for JI students is considerably streamlined and the regular application fee is waived. The application process involves:
- Check the UM External Transfer website or CoE Transfer website for the most updated transfer information.
- Check UM CoE Departments website and UM LSA Departments website for the most updated program information
- All of the following documents should be in English with the official seals stamped on. For translated copies, an original official seal (red) would be needed to authenticate it.
- Official transcripts from all universities that have been attended (JI will provide this.)
- Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS exam scores) should be sent to UM (code: 1839) directly from ETS before the deadline.
- High School / Secondary School transcript and certificate or copy of diploma
- Financial resource statement
- Proof of funding (official bank statement) for one full year of study (two full semester terms).
- Copy of the biological page of passport
- Documents include GPA (both cumulative and core), course pre-requisites and financial capacity
- Complete online application
Phone: 021-34206045 ext. 3222
International Programs Office
Room 322, 3rd Floor
UM-SJTU Joint Institute