SUGS (Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Study) Program
This program will allow students to seek an undergraduate degree at the JI followed by a Master’s degree from the College of Engineering (CoE) at the UM. This description outlines the general structure and requirements.
- To enter the JI-SUGS program, students must first be admitted to the JI and complete a four-year undergraduate program at the JI.
- Students must apply and be admitted to the UM graduate program during their third year at the JI. UM departments will make admission decisions using their normal processes. Students will matriculate into the UM Master’s program upon completion of their SJTU undergraduate degree.
- Students are subject to all the academic regulations and eligibility requirements of the school that they are attending at any time (the JI during their undergraduate program, the UM during their graduate program).
- A maximum of 6 credit hours of graduate-level course work can be transferred from the JI or SJTU to the UM to count towards graduate study (9 credit hours for ISD). These 6 credits (9 credits for ISD) can be double counted between the two degrees.
- A JI-SUGS student will spend a minimum of one year at UM.
- After they complete all the requirements of each degree, students will receive a Graduation Diploma from the Ministry of Education of China, a BS Degree Ordinance from SJTU, and a JI Study Certificate jointly granted by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and University of Michigan, and a Master of Science in Engineering degree from UM.
Several departments in the CoE have specific requirements on the SUGS program. Information can be found through the following links:
- Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Systems:
- Mechanical Engineering:
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering:
- Integrative Systems + Design: http://isd.engin.umich.edu/sjtu/index.htm
- Automotive Engineering
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Global Automotive and Manufacturing Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Systems Engineering and Design
Other CoE departments should be consulted individually about eligibility and requirements of their SUGS programs.