Why Minor in Entrepreneurship in JI?
- To encourage students to learn business skills to be attractive to employers after completing their degrees
- To support students to start their own businesses, as per the policies of the Chinese Government and support from businesses
- Strong interest in Entrepreneurship amongst students, alumni and sponsors
- UM also has top US Entrepreneurship Programs, such as I Corps of NSF/NIH in CFE/CoE
- JI engineering programs expected to become more attractive with this minor (especially to international students)
- Complements the JI Capstone Project program and gives students an opportunity to learn intrapreneurship from companies based on their cultures, processes and values
Undergraduate Minor in Entrepreneurship
- Total 15 Credits
- 2 Core Courses
At least 6 Credits of Practicum Courses
- VX420 Entrepreneurships Basics (3 credits)
- VX402 Managing a Business (2 credits)
At least 3 credits of Elective from VX422, VX203, VR208, VX251, VX351, etc.
A complete list is maintained at the JI Undergraduate Education Office
- VM/VE/VG450 Capstone Design or equivalent (3 or 4 credits, compulsory)
- VX423 Intrapreneurship (3 credits, offered in Spring) Or, VX425-Technology Entrepreneurship (3 credits, offered in Fall) Or, VE441 App Development for Entrepreneurs (4 credits, offered in Summer)
- Extra credits may be counted towards the Elective
- Sophomore standing and above (prefer junior and senior levels)
- Declared major
- A grade of C or better in any course of the minor
- A minor should be declared before graduation
- Transfer courses accepted for the Electives
Suggested Path for Minor
- VX420 Entrepreneurships Basics (3 credits): Freshman or Sophomore Summer
- VX402 Managing a Business (2 credits): Freshman, Sophomore or Junior Summer
Note: It is possible to take VX420 in Junior summer and VX402 in Junior or Senior summer butsince VX420 is a foundation course for Entrepreneurship Minor and also a prerequisite for VX423 ,it is recommended to take this course as early as possible.
Practicum Courses (3 Credits, not counting Capstone Design Course which is compulsory for JI students)
Electives (3 Credits)
- VX423 Intrapreneurship (3 credits): Junior or Senior Spring
- VE449 Mobile Applications for Entrepreneurs (3 credits): Junior or Senior Fall
- VX425-Technology Entrepreneurship (3 credits): Sophomore and above
Any time, as there is a wide range of courses that count towards entrepreneurship minor electives. Any Entrepreneurship related courses (including social entrepreneurship) from exchange program will also be considered for elective requirement.