|Ph.D.||Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University (2012)|
|B.S.||Dept. of Physics, Tsinghua University (2006)|
2012 – pres. Assistant Professor, UM-SJTU Joint Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Honors and Awards
- Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship, 2011, Purdue University
- Ward A. Lambert Graduate Teaching Fellowship, 2010, Purdue University
- Warren and Judy Stevenson Fellowship, 2009, Purdue University
- Computing Research Institute Fellowship, 2008, Purdue University
- Micro/Nanoscale heat transfer and energy conversion
- Thermal radiation and nanophotonics
- Multiscale multiphysics simulations
- H. Bao, B. Duvvuri, M.H. Lou, and X.L. Ruan, “Effects of Randomness and Inclination on the Optical Properties of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube Arrays”, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, in press, 2013.
- Hua Bao, Weixia Zhang, Liangliang Chen, Haoxiang Huang, Chen Yang, and Xiulin Ruan, “An Investigation of the Optical Properties of Disordered Silicon Nanowire Mats”, Journal of Applied Physics, 112, 124301,2012
- H. Bao, B. Qiu, Y. Zhang, and X.L. Ruan, “A first-principles molecular dynamics approach for predicting optical phonon lifetimes and far-infrared reflectance of polar materials”, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 113, 1683-1688, 2012.
- B. Qiu, H. Bao, G.Q. Zhang, Y. Wu and X.L. Ruan, “Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Lattice Thermal Conductivity and Spectral Phonon Mean Free Path of PbTe: Bulk and Nanostructures”, Comput. Mater. Sci., 53, 278-285, 2011.
- L.L. Chen, H. Bao, T.Z. Tan, O.L. Prezhdo, and X.L. Ruan, “Shape and Temperature Dependence of Hot Carrier Relaxation Dynamics in Spherical and Elongated CdSe Quantum Dots,” J. Phys. Chem. C 115, 11400–11406, 2011
- Hua Bao and Xiulin Ruan, Enhanced optical absorption in disordered vertical silicon nanowire arrays for photovoltaic applications, Optics Letters, 35, 3378, 2010
- Hua Bao, Xiulin Ruan, and Timothy S. Fisher, Optical properties of ordered vertical arrays of multi-walled carbon nanotubes from FDTD simulations, Optics Express, 18, 6347, 2010
- H. Bao and X. Ruan, Ab initio calculations of thermal radiative properties: the semiconductor GaAs, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 53, 1308-1312, 2010
- Hua Bao, Bradley F. Habenicht, Oleg V. Prezhdo, and Xiulin Ruan, Temperature dependence of hot carrier relaxation in a PbSe nanocrystal: an ab initio study, Physical Review B 79,235306-1-7, 2009
- H. Bao, X.L. Ruan, and M. Kaviany, Theory of the broadening of vibrational spectra induced by lowered symmetry in yttria nanostructures, Physical Review B 78, 125417-1-7, 2008 (selected as Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, volume 18, issue 14)
Courses taught during the past 5 years
- UM-SJTU JI: (Ve/Vm5001) Solid State Physics, (Ve320) Solid State Device
- Purdue University: (ME315) Heat and Mass Transfer