Honorary Dean & Professor
- +86-21-34206765 Ext. 5711
||Mechanical Eng., Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison (1987)
||Mechanical Eng., Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison (1984)
||Mechanical Eng., Shanghai Jiao Tong University (1982)
|2014.08 – pres.
||Honorary Dean, UM-SJTU Joint Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
|2006.03 – pres.
||Shien-Ming (Sam) Wu Collegiate Professor of Manufacturing Science, University of Michigan
|2006.07 – 2014.08
||Dean, UM-SJTU Joint Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
|1997.09 – pres.
||Professor, Dept. of Mech. Eng., University of Michigan
|1993.01 – 1997.08
||Associate Professor, Dept. of Mech. Eng. & Applied Mech., University of Michigan
|1989.09 – 1992.12
||Assistant Research Scientist, Dept. of Mech. Eng. & Applied Mech., University of Michigan
|1987.09 – 1989.08
||Research Fellowof, Dept. of Mech. Eng. & Applied Mech., University of Michigan
(Over 400 publications in refereed journals and conferences)
- J. Ni, 1997, “CNC Machine Accuracy Enhancement Through Real-Time Error Compensation”, an invited ASME Transaction paper, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 119, No.4(B), pp.717-725
- M. Bono, and J. Ni, 2002, “A Model for Predicting the Heat Flow into the Workpiece in Dry Drilling,” ASME Transaction, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering Vol. 124, No. 4, pp. 773-777X. Jin, J. Ni, and Y. Koren, 2011, “Optimal Control of Reassembly with Variable Quality Returns in a Product Remanufacturing System,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology
- K. Shin and J. Ni, 2003, “Adaptive Control of Multi-Plane Active Balancing Systems for Speed-Varying Rotors,” ASME J. of Dyn. Sys. Measurement and Control, Vol. 125, pp. 372-281X. Jin, L. Li and J. Ni, 2009, “Option Model for Joint Production and Preventive Maintenance System”, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 119, pp. 347-353
- Q. Chang, J. Ni, P. Bandyopadhyay, S. Biller, G. Xiao, 2007, “Supervisory Factory Control Based on Real-Time Production Feedback,” in Transactions of the ASME, Journal ofManufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 129, No. 3, pp. 653-660
- Leadership in Manufacturing Research: Dr. Ni has been very active in conducting manufacturing research while at the same time serving as the director of S. M. Wu Manufacturing Research Center at the University of Michigan. This research center has been internationally recognized for its creative research in manufacturing science and engineering, and for its impact on industrial implementations. Many graduate students have received balanced training in conducting fundamental academic research and applying their results to industry. Dr. Ni is also a co-director of a National Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Intelligent Maintenance Systems (IMS). The IMS center has over 30 active industrial company memberships. He also served as the Deputy Director of a National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center for Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems.
- Innovations in Teaching and Training: Dr. Ni has been actively teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses in design and manufacturing, and supervising graduate research and undergraduate independent study projects. In addition, he has developed and maintained student exchange programs with many institutions in Germany, Poland, China, Korea, Japan, and South Africa.
- Active Participation in Professional Society: Dr. Ni has actively participated in a number of professional societies including ASME and NAMRI/SME. He served as the Chair of the Manufacturing Engineering Division of ASME in 2003/4. He also actively served on the Scientific Committee of NAMRI/SME.
Honors and Awards
- The 2013 International Science and Technology Cooperation Award
- 2013 SME Gold Medal Award, by Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- S. M. Wu Research Implementation Award, 2013, by Society of Manufacturing Engineers and North American Manufacturing Research Institute
- 2013 International S&T Cooperation Award, by Shanghai Municipal Government
- Fellow, elected in 2012 by International Society of Engineering Asset Management (ISEAM)
- Fellow, elected in 2011 by International Society for Nanomanufacturing (ISNM)
- University Distinguished Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2011-2013
- Distinguished Service Award, 2010, Chinese Institute of Engineers-USA
- Magnolia Gold Medal, 2010, awarded by Shanghai Municipal Government for Outstanding Contribution by Oversea Scientist
- Outstanding Achievement Award, 2010, Oversea Chinese Office, State Council, People’s Republic of China
- Best Paper Award, 2010, International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing
- First Prize of National Higher Education Award, 2009, Ministry of Education, People’s Republic of China.
- Best Paper Award, 2009, American Society of Mechanical Engineering Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC).
- William T. Ennor Manufacturing Technology Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineering and Society of Manufacturing Engineering, 2009
- Best Paper Award, 2007 SRC TECHCON
- 2006-2007 Education Excellence Award, College of Engineering, The University of Michigan
- Shien-Ming (Sam) Wu Collegiate Professor of Manufacturing Science, University of Michigan, 2006 – 2011
- Best Paper Award, 2005 SRC TECHCON
- Best Paper Award, 2004, International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing
- Fellow, Elected in 2004 by the American Society of Mechanical Engineering
- Magnolia Silver Medal, awarded by Shanghai Municipal Government for Outstanding Contribution by Oversea Scientist, 2003
- Elected Member of Advisory Board, Ministry of Science & Technology, China, 2003 – present
- Member of External Review Board, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2002 – present
- Best Paper Award, 2002, International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing
- Fellow, Elected in 2002 by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- 2001-02 Research Excellence Award, College of Engineering, The University of Michigan
- Best Paper Award, 2001 North American Manufacturing Research Conference, NAMRI/SME
- Best Paper Award Finalist, 2000 North American Manufacturing Research Conference, NAMRI/SME
- Distinguished Visiting Chair Professor, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2001-2002
- 2000-01 Robert M. Caddell Memorial Award for Outstanding Faculty Achievement, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan
- 1999 Outstanding Oversea Scientist Award with a discretionary grant of RMB ¥400,000, National Natural Science Foundation, China
- 1995 Excellence in Research Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Michigan
- 1994 Presidential Faculty Fellow Awards with $500,000 grant, named by President W. J. Clinton, funded through the National Science Foundation
- 1991 Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Collaborators & Other Affiliations
- Collaborators: J. Hu, J. Shi, Y. Koren, G. Ulsoy,(all from the University of Michigan), J. Lee (University of Cincinnati)
- Graduate and Post Doctoral Advisors: Late Professor S. M. Wu
- Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate-Scholar Sponsor
- Total number of Ph.D. graduates (54); Total number of Post Doctorate (25).
- Names who graduated within 5 years: S. Dyer, Y. Chen, R. Schimmel, Y. Sun, E. Al-Regib, C. Gong, G. Chen, K. Mijit, B. Zhang, K. K. Shin, Y. Ma, M. Bono, L.W. Pan, J. Jung, H. Yang, D. Djurdjanovic, L. Zhang, Feng Ke, Yizhu Zhang, Chang-ju Kim, Sangwon Lee, M. Yang, H. Chen, H.S. Kim, G. Y. Kim, Q. Chang, A. Kamouneh, H. Choi.