Assistant Teaching Professor
- +86-21-34206765 Ext. 4072
||English Literature, University of Toronto, Canada (2017)
||English Literature, Simon Fraser University, Canada (2010)
||English Literature, History, Simon Fraser University, Canada (2007)
|2019 – pres.
||Assistant Teaching Professor, UM-SJTU Joint Institute
|2015 – 2017
||Course Instructor, University of Toronto, Canada
|2017 – 2018
||Course Instructor, Ryerson University, Canada
Honors and Awards
- Research Fellowship, Jackman Humanities Institute, University of Toronto (2015)
- Research Fellowship, Lewis Walpole Library, Yale (2013)
- SSHRC Doctoral Scholarship (2010)
- Risling, Matthew. “Ants, Polyps, and Hanover Rats: Henry Fielding and Popular Science.” Philological Quarterly 95.1 (Winter 2016): 25-44.
- Risling, Matthew. Review of Reading and the Making of Time in the Eighteenth Century, by Christina Lupton. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 2018. Review of English Studies (2019).
- Risling, Matthew. Review of Skin Color in the Early Royal Society: Boyle, Cavendish, Swift, by Christina Malcolmson. Burlington VT: Ashgate, 2013. Review of English Studies 271.1 (2014): 749-751.
Courses Taught (Recent 5 Years)
- UM-SJTU JI: Vy, 200 Academic Writing II: “What’s So Funny with Modernity?”
- Ryerson University, Toronto: Eng 201, Myth and Literature; Eng 531, Eighteenth-Century Literature and Culture.
- University of Toronto: Eng 305, Pope, Swift, and Their Contemporaries; Eng 307, Women Writers 1660-1800; Eng 100, Effective Writing