Rockwell F. Clancy
Associate Teaching Professor
- +86-21-34206765 Ext. 4113
||Philosophy and Literature, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN (2012)
||Philosophy magna cum laude, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium (2007)
||Philosophy cum laude, Fordham University, Bronx, NY (2005)
- SJTU – Political Anthropology: Rousseau’s Social Contract (graduate seminar)
- UM-SJTU JI – Engineering Ethics, Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion, Introduction to Philosophy, Integrated English, English Writing, Technical Communication
- Ivy Tech Community College – Philosophy of Religion, Introduction to Ethics, Introduction to Philosophy
- Purdue University (teaching assistant) – Introduction to Jewish Studies, Introduction to the Study of Religion, Religions of the West, Honors Ethics
Awards and Honors
- Purdue Research Foundation Year Grant (2011-2012)
- McBride Foreign Travel Grant (2011 & 2012)
- Purdue Research Foundation Summer Grant (2010)
- Flemish Community Fellowship (2007-2008)
- Phi Sigma Tau, International Honor Society in Philosophy (2004)
Areas of Specialization
- 19th and 20th century European philosophy, political philosophy
Areas of Competence
- Applied ethics, philosophy of religion, ethics, aesthetics
- From a Critique of Psychoanalysis to the Superiority of Anglo-American Literature: Towards a Political Anthropology in the Work of Gilles Deleuze. Leuven University Press (forthcoming).
- “Human Nature and Holocaust: Understanding Levinas’ Account of Ethics through Levi and Wiesel.” Philosophy and Literature vol. 36 issue 2, 2013.
- “Deleuze and Guattari’s Conception of Desire: Its Philosophical Anthropological Implications and Political Consequences.” International Deleuze Conference Symposium 2012 Henan University, Kaifeng, PR China. Ed. Jihai Gao, Paul Patton, and Jing Yin. Kaifeng: Henan University Press (forthcoming).
- Review of Craig Lundy’s History and Becoming: Deleuze’s Philosophy of Creativity for Journal of Philosophy: A Cross-Disciplinary Inquiry (forthcoming).
- Review of Daniel W. Smith’s Essays on Deleuze for Journal of Philosophy: A Cross-Disciplinary Inquiry vol. 7 issue 18, 2012.
- Review of Jean-Jacques Lecercle’s Badiou and Deleuze Read Literature for Journal of French and Francophone Philosophy vol. 19 no. 2, 2011.
- Review of A.C. Grayling’s Ideas that Matter: The Concepts that Shape the 21st Century for Metapsychology Online Reviews vol. 15 issue 13, 2011.
- Fethi Benslama, “Islam in Light of Psychoanalysis” in Wolfgang Müller-Funk, Inge Scholz-Strasser, Herman Westerink (eds.) Psychoanalysis, Monotheism and Morality: The Sigmund Freud Museum Symposia 2009-2011, Leuven University Press, 2013 (from French).
- Herman Westerink’s The Heart of Man’s Destiny: Lacanian Psychoanalysis and Early Reformation Thought. Routledge: London, 2012.
- Philippe Van Haute and Tomas Geyskens’ A Non-Oedipal Psychoanalysis? A Clinical Anthropology of Hysteria in the Works of Freud and Lacan. Leuven: KU Leuven Press, 2012.
- “Making the Case for Political Anthropology,” Southern Florida College, Lakeland, FL, January 14, 2013
- “Anti-Oedipal Psychoanalysis: Saving Freud and Lacan from themselves,” International Symposium in Phenomenology, Perugia, Italy, July 14, 2011
- “Why Leuven?” address given on behalf of the international students at Solemn Proclamation, Leuven, Belgium, July 4, 2007
Refereed Conference Papers
- “Schizophrenia, Libido, and Individuation: Towards a Jungian Philosophical Anthropology in the Work of Gilles Deleuze,” paper delivered at Tamkung University, Taipei, Taiwan, June 2, 2013.
- “Deleuze and Guattari’s Conception of Desire in Anti-Oedipus: Its Philosophical Anthropological Implications and Political Consequences,” paper delivered at Kaifeng International Deleuze Conference, Henan University, Kaifeng, China, May 19, 2012.
- “Deleuze and Guattari’s Notion of Opinion: Its Elements, Genesis, and Political Import,” paper delivered at the fourth International Deleuze Studies Conference: Creation, Crisis, Critique, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 29, 2011
- “Understanding Emmanuel Levinas’ Account of Ethics through Elie Wiesel and Primo Levi,” paper delivered at the sixth annual North American Levinas Society: Celebrating Totality and Infinity at 50, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, May 3, 2011
- “Schizoanalysis and Pollyanalytics: Understanding Deleuze and Guattari’s Criticisms of Psychoanalysis through the Lens of D.H. Lawrence,” paper delivered at the seventh annual Social Theory Forum, Critical Social Theory: Freud and Lacan for the 21st Century, University of Massachusetts, Boston, MA, April 8, 2010
- “From a Critique of Psychoanalysis to the Superiority of Anglo-American Literature,” paper delivered at the annual philosophy day, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium, April 12, 2008
- “Kierkegaard’s Faith,” paper delivered at the Northwestern Undergraduate Philosophy Conference, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, April 15-16, 2005
- Organizing committee member for “The International Symposium in Phenomenology: Foreign Bodies – Corps étrangers,” Perugia, Italy, July 8-12, 2013
- Student organizer of “Philosophical Dialogue between Africa and the Americas: Africa and its Diaspora,” sponsored by UNESCO, at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, April 18-20, 2011
- Co-organizer of “Deleuze: Ethics and Politics” the Fourth Biennial Philosophy and Literature Graduate Student Conference at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, April 10-11, 2010
- Reviewer, Journal of Philosophy: A Cross-Disciplinary Inquiry
- Reviewer, Society and Space
- American Philosophical Association
- International Symposium in Phenomenology