|Ph.D.||Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2010)|
|M.S.||Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2006)|
|B.S.||Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2005)|
|2014.8 – present||Assistant Professor at UM-SJTU JI|
|Director of the Center for Advanced Mechanics Materials and Structures (CAMMS)|
|Fellow of the State Key Laboratory for Mechanical System and Vibration|
|2012.8 – 2014.8||Research Scientist and Lecturer at UM-SJTU JI|
|2010.1 – 2012.8||Senior Research Engineer at Materials Technologies Corporation, Atlanta, GA|
|Research and development on projects with NASA, NAVAIR, and the U.S. Air Force|
|2010.1 – 2011.5||Postdoctoral Fellow at Georgia Institute of Technology|
Mechanics, Materials, and Structures
- Multi-disciplinary research applications (aerospace, biological, civil, electrical, material, and mechanical systems) with focus on combination of structural analysis, mechanics of materials, and materials science
- Computational analysis of foot and ankle, orthotics, control of the structure and development of control mechanisms
- Non-destructive evaluation (NDE) of structures (including the human structure). i.e. force sensor development, infrared thermography, etc.
- Development of Rapid Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems
- Development of analytical and stochastic tools to predict damage evolution, damage mechanisms, and failure in structures
- Specialty: Structural analysis, computational and experimental mechanics and materials science
- Johnson, S., Kang, L., Akil, H., 2016 “Mechanical Behavior of Jute Hybrid Bio-Composites,” Composites Part B: Engineering , http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.12.052. In Press 1/31/2015.
- Qaiser, Z. , Qureshi, O., Johnson, S., 2015, “Thin walled circular beams with sinusoidal embedded patterns under axial impacts,” Thin Walled Structures. 99; 76-82. DOI: 10.1016/j.tws.2015.11.005.
- Rashidi, M., Johnson, S., Zhigang, Y., 2015, “Theoretical Study of Moving Magnetic Beads on an Inclined Plane and its Application in the Ratchet Separation Technique,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 398; 13-19. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2015.08.124.
- Johnson,S., Popil, R., 2015, “Corrugated Board Bonding Defect Characterization,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives. * 59(2015) 105-114. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2015.02.03.
- Jafari, S., Rashidi, M., Johnson, S., 2014, “Analytical Solution of the Nonlinear Vibration of Euler-Bernoulli Beams via the Homotopy Analysis Method and Differential Transform Method,” International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 10 (9) : 96-110.
- Johnson, S., 2014, “Thermoelastic Stress Analysis for Detecting and Characterizing Static Damage Initiation in Composite Lap Shear Joints,” Composites Part B: Engineering, 56, 740-748.
- Johnson, S., Wei, B.S., Haj-Ali, R., 2010, “A Stochastic Fatigue Damage Model for Composite Single Lap Shear Joints Based on Markov Chains and Thermoelastic Stress Analysis,” Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 33 (12) 897-910.
- Wei, B.S., Johnson, S., Haj-Ali, R, 2009, “A Stochastic Fatigue Damage Method for Composite Materials Based on Markov Chains and Infrared Thermography,” International Journal of Fatigue 32 (2) 350-360.
- Haj-Ali, R., Wei, B.S., Johnson, S. and El-Hajjar, R., 2007, “Thermoelastic and Infrared-Thermography Methods for Surface Strains in Cracked Orthotropic Composite Materials,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics (EI, SCI), 75 (1) 58-75.
Funded Research Projects
- “Foreign Professor Stimulant Fund,” Principal Investigator for Shanghai Jiao Tong University Grant in 2016. Amount: 127,000 USD (800,000RMB).
- “Multi Scale, Region Specific Modeling of the Plantar Soft Tissue,” Principal Investigator for National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) funded Young International Scientist Grant in 2016, Amount: 60,000 USD (400,000RMB). Contract #: 51550110233.
- “Parameter Specific Efficacy of Foot Orthotics, and the Development of a Tunable Stiffness Orthosis for Biomechanical Investigations,” Principal Investigator for National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) funded Young Scientist Grant in 2016, Amount: 39,200 USD (247,000RMB). Contract #: 51505282.
- Foot and Ankle Modeling, Soft Tissue and Contact Mechanics, Principal Investigator (PI) for State Key Laboratory of Mechanical System and Vibration, Shanghai Jiao Tong University funded project in 2015, Amount: $30,000 USD (200,000RMB).
- Exercise Load Measurement Insole (ELMI), Technical Principal Investigator (PI)for NASA funded Phase I SBIR in 2012, Amount: $100,000. Contract # 11-1 X12.02-8627.
- Bayesian Reliability Assessment of Non-Destructive Evaluation systems (BRANDE), PI for Air Force funded Phase I SBIR in 2011-2012, Amount: $150,000. Contract # FA8650-11-M-5181.
- Thermoelastic Residual Stress Analysis System (THERSA), PI for NAVAIR funded Phase I SBIR in 2011, Amount: $80,000. Contract # N68335-11-C-0014.
- Coating Enhanced Thermal Analysis Techniques–DURACON-IR, PI for NASA funded Phase I SBIR in 2011, Amount: $100,000. Contract # NNX11CG38P.
- Portable IR based Inspection System (PIRIS), Technical Principal Investigator (PI) for The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)funded Phase I Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) in 2010, Amount: $100,000. Contract # NNX10CE55P.
- Vg100 Introduction to Engineering
- Vm211 Statics and Mechanics of Materials
- Vk250 Materials Science and Engineering
- Vm382 Mechanics of Materials
- Vm418 Mechanics of Composite Materials
- Vm450 Capstone Design
Honors and Awards
- 2015 Candle Light Teaching Award, Presented by Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- 2005 Graduated with Highest Honor, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2005 Presidents Undergraduate Research Award, Presented by Georgia Institute of Technology