The University of Adelaide in South Australia has a long history as a champion of women’s education and indigenous education. It is ranked 113 worldwide in the QS rankings of top universities.
The Adelaide program is one of the newest winter program at JI. The program consists of four weeks in Adelaide, with many cultural and historical activities, followed by a one-week “free time” period giving participants the opportunity to explore Australia according to their personal schedules.
Major: ME only
Study Year: Sophomore, Junior or Senior
GPA Requirement: 2.5
English Requirement: TOEFL 79 (writing 21, speaking 18, reading and listening 13)
35 days in January/February
The following course is offered:
MECH ENG 4115 Engineering Acoustics
The fundamentals of sound wave description and propagation, noise control techniques, the hearing mechanism, acoustic instrumentation, noise criteria, psychoacoustics, sound source types and radiated sound fields, outdoor sound propagation, sound power measurement techniques, sound in enclosed spaces, sound transmission loss, acoustic enclosures, acoustic barriers, pipe lagging, and experience in the use of software for noise control predictions.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Understand the principles of acoustics.
- ￼Be able to assess complex occupational and environmental noise problems using acceptable assessment criteria.
- Understand the importance of protecting the community from excessive noise and how it damages the hearing mechanism.
- Be able to use instrumentation for noise measurement and understand the type of measurements appropriate for various situations.
- Understand noise source types and of how sound propagates outdoors.
- Understand sound fields in rooms and how they may be controlled.
- Be able to design noise control fixtures and develop strategies to reduce occupational and environmental noise to acceptable levels.
- Have a deep understanding of the responsibility of engineers to the community in terms of providing a safe healthy environment.
- Understand the need to undertake lifelong learning
The cost for the program is around 28,000 RMB (for hotel accommodation) or 34,000 RMB (for home-stay accommodation). Precise costs may vary from year to year. This covers
- Communications course
- Flight tickets
- Visa application fee
- Cultural and social Events
Enjoying the breeze, breathing the fresh air, walking on the shining beach, I can’t imagine the life in January before I come to Australia. Rather than the beautiful landscape and lovely animals, I experience the local’s hospitality and multiculturalism. People help us patiently when we are in trouble; Host family prepares unique journey for me to know the music, geography and life there; Students communicate freely and share their experience with me. People with different skins, different accents, different culture backgrounds live together and enjoy their life harmonically in Australia, which is an ideal country for the people from the world. I love Australia.
Yuan Yao2014 ECE student
The days in Australia could be one of the best ones in my life. The way Australians treat nature is a model for the whole world. Those botanic gardens are in the very center of the biggest cities; thousands of trees along every single high way are more than a few hundred years old; The Twelve Apostles was the most magnificent spectacle from god; The Great Barrier reef might be last place left for the fragile reefs. I still miss the salty breeze and warm sunshine on the beaches of Adelaide, and the kangaroos eating from my hands.
Yuhan Chen2015 student
Through this program, we had the chance to go out of China to see the much wilder world. In Australia, we saw different races and cultures on the Day of Australia. In University of Adelaide, we chatted with students from different countries and teachers who had travelled around the world. We witnessed different concepts and ideas conflicting with each other and becoming connected with each other, which is a general tendency of today’s world.