First, please check if you are eligible to apply as an international student to JI. International Students 101-Most Frequently Asked Questions http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/prospective-students/international-admission/undergraduate/acceptance-enrollment/international-students-101/
Second, You need to fill out and submit the Common Application.
If you want more information about JI, please go to our website at http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/.
Should you have any questions about applying to JI, please:
Call 86-21-34206045 ext. 4492
Go to: http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/prospective-students/international-admission/undergraduate/
Download a brochure at http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/download/
Areas of interest
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
- Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
Students can also obtain a Minor in Entrepreneurship, a Minor in Data Science, or a Minor in Computer Science (ME majors only). A Minor in Artificial Intelligence (AI) will be offered soon.
*Graduation is subject to Chinese language requirements.
Fall—September to December
Spring—January to April
Summer—May to August
Regular Decision —April 15
Early Action — November 15
Either SAT (JI code: 6563) or ACT (JI code: 6983) with writing test scores are required. For students without SAT or ACT test scores, please contact Ms. Yu Zhang at .
For non-native speakers of English, either TOEFL (iBT) (JI code: 6210) or IELTS score is also required:
TOEFL (iBT): 84 or above.
IELTS: 6 or above.
Exceptions: You may be exempted from providing any of these exams if your SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score is 650 or above (600 or above if presenting an old SAT critical reading score), or if both your ACT Reading and English scores are 27 or above, and if you have recently completed at least 4 years of rigorous academic study in any of the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Seychelles, Shetland Islands, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States (other than Puerto Rico), US Virgin Islands, Wales. (Those in American Schools and British Schools abroad may also be exempted if at least 4 years of rigorous academic study has recently been completed if scores meet above standards.)
Two recommendation letters are required: one from your high school counselor and one from a core academic teacher.
High School Transcripts
We pay special attention to math, physics, chemistry and other related subjects. Please arrange to have official copies of your transcripts in English sent to us by all high schools you attended.
Estimated Tuition and Fees
Tuition: 80,000 CNY/Year
Room and Board: 4650 USD
Books and Supplies: 300 USD. This figure represents the average cost and is subject to change.
All applicants are required to pay a nonrefundable application fee of 75 USD.
Additional Requirements for Transfer Students
- Students applying to transfer must be in good academic standing at the institution(s) attended.
- The JI will consider the quality of an applicant’s attending institution(s) as well as the transferable college credits.
- TOEFL or IELTS test scores are required of all speakers with English as a second language.
- Final official high school/secondary school record, including 9th-12th grades and graduation date, may be needed. The more credits a student is able to transfer, the less the student’s high school work will be used in the evaluation.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Successful candidates usually will present a cumulative GPA of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better.
- Students wishing to transfer should complete a series of prerequisite courses. All courses should be evaluated by a letter grade and not pass/fail. A letter grade of a “C” or better is required for the prerequisite courses including:
- College level Calculus I, II, III and Differential Equations
- Calculus-based Physics with labs
- General college Chemistry with lab
- Computer programming, C/C++ preferred
- English: English composition
- Certain GPA depending on a specific program
- Students should be aware that they will have to register in the university system for at least 3 years to receive a Bachelor’s degree.
SJTU provides different kinds of scholarships for excellent applicants, such as Chinese Government Scholarship, Shanghai Government Scholarships, SJTU Scholarships, and others.
- Students applying for a Chinese Government Scholarship should directly contact the local Chinese embassy or consulate. When completing the scholarship application form, the applicant should select Shanghai Jiao Tong University as the first priority.
- Students applying for SJTU scholarships will have chance to be awarded scholarships of the following types.
|First-Class Scholarship||Period：4 years Covers tuition, living allowance (2,500 CNY per month), accommodation subsidy (1,000 CNY per month), insurance||
Accomplished application procedure on the Common Application system .Applicants should be officially admitted by SJTU and not be awardees of other scholarships at the same time. Relevant English language certificate according to the language requirement of the English program.
SJTU reserves the right of final explanation.
|Second-Class Scholarship||Period：4 yearsCovers 50% of tuition, accommodation subsidy (1,000 CNY per month), insurance|
|Third-Class Scholarship||Period：4 yearsCovers 25% of tuition, insurance|
SJTU Undergraduate Admission Office of International Student
Address: Room 100A, New Administration Building B, 800 Dongchuan Rd, Shanghai, China
Post code: 200240