University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute


International Students 101-Most Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: How can a Chinese apply to the Joint Institute?

A1)  I am from mainland China, and I am going to a local school or an international school in China, or a school outside of China.

a. If you are holding a Chinese passport with a foreign permanent resident permit, please check:

b. If you are a Chinese citizen without a foreign permanent resident permit, please check:

A2) I am from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Macao.

a. If you don’t have a citizenship from another country, please check:

b. If you have a citizenship from another country, please check:

Q2: Is TOEFL or IELTS required for an international student?

A2: You can be exempted from taking any of these exams if your SAT critical reading score is 600 or above, or both your ACT reading and English scores are 27 or higher, or if you have recently completed at least 4 years of rigorous academic study in any of the following countries: Anguila, Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Seychelles, Shetland Islands, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States (other than Puerto Rico), US Virgin Islands, Wales.

Q3: Is SAT or ACT required?

A3: We highly recommend you to take SAT or ACT.  We may request you to submit your SAT or ACT scores later if your first submission does not provide sufficient information.

Q4: How long can I defer my admission if I need to do the military service?

A4: You may defer your admission for 3 years in general, or send us your special request via 

Q5: When will I know the admission results?

A5: If you meet the early action deadline, you can expect your admission results by Christmas. If you submit your application after the early action deadline but before the general deadline in spring, we will inform you the results as soon as the committee makes the decision.

Q6: When can I apply for the visa and do the physical check?

A6: When you receive your admission package with the JW202 form, you can apply for the visa. If you have any questions about your visa, please contact your local Chinese embassy, or SJTU Undergraduate Admission at . We will do our best to address your visa questions, but it’s better for you to ask the experts.

If you have concerns with your current physical check documents, please also contact SJTU Undergraduate Admission.  You can find information from The paper booklet will be mailed to you with your admission package. For future questions, please contact SJTU Undergraduate Admission at

Q7: Do I need to stay on campus in the dorm or can I live off campus?

A7: For all international students you are not required to stay on campus. Here are housing options:

1)      SJTU international dormitory you need to read the instructions for registration with the official admission letter. You can also find information from The paper booklet will be mailed to you with your admission package.

2)      JI dormitory (highly recommended) JI has renovated many rooms in the JI domestic dormitories for our international students. Your JI peers will live around you in the same building. 3 or 4 students are in one room. Hot water shower units and western toilets are provided in these dorms. If you want to stay in the JI dorms, you may bring your own bedding. Currently, the price of the dorm is TBD. You do not need to pay until we send you the announcement.

3)      Off – campus housing.

In order to secure off – campus housing, you need to do your residential certificate with the police station yourself, which is also required for your official J student visa.

Q8: How can I apply for the dormitory?

A8: If you want to live in the international dormitory, the sign-up instructions will be mailed to you with your admission package. If you want to live in the domestic dormitory, you do not need to sign up. You only need to inform us by email  Usually you can move in to JI dorm 1 day before the JI registration day. For the SJTU international dormitory you need to read the instructions for registration with the official admission letter. You can also find information from The paper booklet will be mailed to you with your admission package.

Q9: When can freshmen start to select courses?

A9: During the orientation week, our Academic Office staff and academic program faculty will help you plan your course schedule. 

Q10: Can I transfer my AP or IB credits?

A10: High school credits are not accepted at JI. 

Q11: How can I apply for the Dual Degree Programs or the Sequential Graduate and Undergraduate Programs?

A11: For the Dual Degree Programs, please check . For the other Study Aboard programs, please check

Q12: What will be tested in the math placement test?

A12:  You do not need to prepare for this test. Its purpose is for JI math teachers to know what you have learned in high school.

Q13: How can I apply  for the JI international freshmen students’ scholarships?

A13: The JI international freshmen students’ scholarships will be announced in the fall semester. If you are fully registered at JI, you may apply for it. The amount of the scholarships will vary based on your previous high school performance and your interview results.

Q14: When should I start applying for the scholarship?

A14: As soon as it is announced in the fall semester.

Q15: Can I do sports in the campus?

A15: Of course! You can choose from various sports and join teams from the class level to the university level.

Q16: I am Muslim. Where can I find food in the campus canteens?

A16: There are several windows in the campus canteens that serve food for our Muslim students.