Optics and Optoelectronics
The development of optics and optoelectronics has been leading the advancement of science and technology and profoundly changed our life, among which laser precision optical spectroscopy, fiber-optic telecommunication, and CCD cameras are Nobel Prize subjects in the last decade. A group of electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, physicists and material scientists are working together at the UM-SJTU Joint Institute in the following photonics subareas.
(1) Biomedical photonics. Currently, several faculty members are working closely to develop a multi modality biomedical imaging and sensing system. Our work is targeted at in vivo, wide field-of-view, high resolution imaging and high sensitivity, compact disease diagnosis, by employing state-of-the-art and creative technologies such as optical coherence tomography (Wu), focus grid scanning-based optical microscopy (Wu), photoacoustic microscopy (Chen), nonlinear optics (Wan), fiber-optical biosensing techniques (Li, Yang) and single molecule Raman spectroscopy (Yang).
(2) Energy photonics. Biomimetic surface textures are being employed in Yang’s lab on thin film inorganic and organic photovoltaic/LED devices to achieve higher efficiencies and lower costs.
(3) Information photonics. A variety of subjects are being explored in this category. By ultrahigh precision and portable optical sensing and coding techniques, long range, high resolution, high speed and multidimensional topography and pattern recognition are under investigation in Huang’s lab. Li works on on-chip photonics and fiber devices for communication and sensing. Yang works on nano lasers and photodetectors in lightwave circuits. Wan works on coherent absorbers, or the so called anti-lasers.
For more information, please visit the Center of Optics and Optoelectronics (COO), http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/ji-optics Faculty members working on topics closely related to photonics are also affiliated with the Center, but not listed here.
- Laboratory for Optical Measurement and Sensing (LOMS)
- Optical Fiber Switching and Signal Processing System(OFS2) Lab
- Nanophotonics Laboratory
- Biophotonics Laboratory
- Nonlinear Nanophotonics Laboratory
- Optical Imaging Laboratory